Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Work in Her Own Words
I | II | III | IV | V | VI
Capsule Summary of Peace Pilgrim's Life
- 190?: Born in eastern United States.
- 1938: Preparations begin. "Living to give instead of to get."
- 1953: January 1: Takes Peace Pilgrim as her name. Begins first cross-country pilgrimage from Pasadena, Calif.
December 17: Completes first pilgrimage at United Nations Building, New York City.
- 1954: Forty-five day fast.
- 1955: Begins second pilgrimage from San Francisco, Calif. Walks at least 100 miles in each state, visiting each of the state capitals. Also walks in Mexico and Canada.
- 1957: Walks 1000 miles in Canada--100 miles in each of the Canadian provinces.
- 1964: Completes 25,000 miles on foot for peace at Washington, D.C. Stops counting miles, but continues to walk cross- country pilgrimage routes.
- 1966: Begins fourth pilgrimage.
- 1969: Begins fifth pilgrimage.
- 1973: Begins sixth pilgrimage.
- 1976: Visits Alaska and Hawaii for the first time.
- 1978: Begins seventh pilgrimage.
- 1979: June: Alaska educational and inspirational tour.
- 1980: August: Hawaii educational and inspirational tour.
- 1981: July 7: passes to "a freer life" near Knox, Indiana, while on her seventh cross-country walk.
Back to Index // Home